Fudgy, rich, candied bacon brownies. The trick for this upgraded brownie recipe is the infusion of protein powder with an unlikely friend, black beans. Hear me out! Not only does this uncompromising concoction result in some insanely tasty brownies, but they come packed with protein and fiber!
Hands On Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 20-30 Minutes
Equipment : Blender or Food Processor, Baking Tin or 9″ Cast Iron Skillet
- 15 oz Can Black Beans, Very Well Rinsed
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Low Fat-Milk
- 3 tbls Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Fine Ground Coffee
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Chocolate Chips
- 5 Strips Candied Bacon, Chopped (optional) Recipe Here
Preheat oven to 350F and prep a 9×9 inch baking pan or 9″ cast iron skillet with non-stick spray.
- Rinse beans extremely well and using a blender or food processor, blend smooth.
- Take beans and add the agave/syrup, eggs, milk, ground coffee, and vanilla. Blend until well mixed and smooth.
- Add the protein powder, cocoa powder, coconut oil, baking powder, and salt. Blend until well mixed and smooth.
- Fold in candied bacon and chocolate chips, and add filling
- Add batter to pan, and top with crushed nuts or extra chocolate chips.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, remove once top looks dry and the edges of the brownies pull away from the pan. Let cool on wire rack completely, roughly 1 to 2 hours.
- Cast Iron Skillet, Lodge 9 inch – Amazon
- Chocolate Whey Protein, Optimum Nutrition – Amazon
- Immersion Blender w/ Whisk & Food Processor Attachments, Calphalon – Amazon
Recipe inspired and adapated from the excellent Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Book – Amazon